Advantages Of Multiprogramming, Multi - Programmed Operating System, What Is Multiprogramming Operating System
In This Topic & Blog Having Any Query Then Post your Comment and Suggestion Below
• Multiprogramming is a technique to execute
number of programs simultaneously by a
single processor. In multiprogramming,
number of processes is reside in main
memory at a time. The operating system
picks and begins to execute one the jobs in
the main memory.
• In non-multiprogramming system, the CPU
can execute only the one program at a time,
if the running programs waiting for any I/O
device, the CPU become idle, so it will effect
on the performance of CPU. But in
multiprogramming environment, any I/O
wait happened in a process, then the CPU
switches from that job to another job in the
job pool. So the CPU is not idle at any time.
Advantages of multiprogramming
• Can get efficient memory utilization
• CPU is never idle , so the performance of
CPU will increase.
• Throughput of the CPU may also increase
• In non-multiprogramming environment
(Mono programming) the user / program
has to wait for CPU much time. But waiting
time is limited in multiprogramming.
• Multiprogramming is a technique to execute number of
programs simultaneously by a single processor.
• In Multiprogramming, number of processes reside in main
memory at a time.
• The OS picks and begins to executes one of the jobs in the
• If any I/O wait happened in a process, then CPU switches
from that job to another job.
• CPU is never idle.
• Figure dipicts the layout of
• The main memory consists of 5
jobs at a time, the CPU executes
one by one.
•Efficient memory utilization
•CPU is never idle, so
Multi-programmed Operating System
The intermediate execution of two or more program is known as
Some important terms used in multiprogramming operating system
• Job Pool
• Job Scheduler
• CPU Scheduler
Labels: Operating System